Category: Community

Meteor Hits Moon

A large flash on the Moon was confirmation that a meteor had hit the Moon on May 17th, at 3:50:55 UTC. By my estimate that put my photo of the moon at 8:48:31 PM PDT, just about 2 minutes before…

Share via social networks.

Hangar Talk: “Gloves for iPad”

Podcast Number One.. From Orcas Island. recorded May 10, 2013, at Magic Air, Orcas Island Airport, Eastsound, WA. Review of Richard Bach’s new book “Travels with Puff”, talk of the downtown Putt-Putt golf course. More Billboards on the way, or…

Value of Social: San Juan Islands

What is the value of Social? Loading… Share via social networks. Tweet

Natural Capitalism

Natural Capitalism is a concept that helps small communities more forward in a sustainable way. Why join the Islanders Club? Local credit card. Local telecom that pays into the community. Local micro credit. Local person to person sales, trade, barter.…

5 Point Film Festival Opens

The 5 Point Film Festival is one of my favorite events back ‘home’, in the Roaring Fork Valley. This is the first year I’ve seen a trailer that helps describe the event. Accidents happen, and extreme sports aren’t for everyone.…

Boston Lockdown Images

from WBUR: Steve Brown Boston Lockdown is a sad consequence of this activity is how it has affected so many people’s lives. The economic impact is going to be significant as essentially everyone is sheltering in place – staying home.…

Its Bicycle Day

“April 19, 1943, Hofmann performed a self-experiment to determine the true effects of LSD, intentionally ingesting 0.25 milligrams (250 micrograms) of the substance, an amount he predicted to be a threshold dose (an actual threshold dose is 20 micrograms). Less…

Wild Eyed Pony Photography

Tina Meng owns Wild Eyed Pony Photography and lives on Lopez Island and travels for clients around the Nation. She specializes in natural light, on-location photography. Tina wrote: “As a photographer, my goal is not only to document life’s milestones,…

Yahoo! Weather Shows Off Beautiful apps – iOS and Android

I alway check the weather here in the Pacific NW. Not that the rain ever stops me. I love the rain and the sunshine. You probably do as well. And I use the built-in Apple iPhone weather app. Today, Yahoo…

What Drives Rural Broadband Success?

A key element of a Rural Broadband Communications Strategy – for the Islands beyond economics – that is, cheaper and faster Internet is political and cultural. Today, no one polled in SJI BST can remember 3 things the candidates for…